Development visualisation with gource

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu Sep 9 22:37:38 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 18:14 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> This is pretty neat!

Indeed. Thanks Geert!

> Linas did an awful lot at the onset, didn't he!

Not meaning to belittle the enormous amount of work that Linas (and many
others) have done, but this is not a reliable indication of how much
work individual people have actually contributed to the project. I know
for a fact that a significant portion of the work that appears to be
being done by Dave Peticolas early on in this graphic is actually
commits he made to the tree in his role as project gatekeeper
(including, as an aside, Derek's early contributions to this project in
the form of the RPC code). Similar effects are noticed later on with the
commits being done by Christian Stimming (sp?), Hampton and others more
recently. That's not to say that these people didn't also contribute
large amounts of their own work, because I know they did. My point is
that, while Linas appears to have done a lot of work, that MAY be
because he was also project gatekeeper.
Hmmm. Maybe I've been hanging around here too long.... :-)

Still, it is a very interesting visualisation. Shows the growth and
change of the code over the years.

Conrad.