Locking SQL database for single user only

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Sep 20 03:01:31 EDT 2010

Zitat von Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>:

> For locking purposes, I think I will add an "accessors" table with 1
> 2048-char field.  For single user mode, this must have at most 1 row in
> the table.  For multi-user mode (in the future), this can keep track of
> which users are currently logged in.  The big char field can encode user
> name, machine, login time, whatever is wanted.

Sounds fine.

However, if that "accessors" table should really contain the
information about who is currently accessing the database, I would
definitely prefer distinct data fields over one big char field that
would need to be parsed again (e.g. for translations). On the other
hand, the additional columns can probably be added later once it
becomes clear which ones are useful.

Regards,

Christian