Budget, cash flow and scheduled transactions - roadmap?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Apr 1 03:17:04 EDT 2011

Zitat von Nick Manville <manville at doctors.org.uk>:
> I would like a budgeting system that allows me to combine my
> scheduled transactions, budget amounts and asset balances to allow
> me to plan my future spending. This is for managing personal finance
> rather than business accounting which has its own rules and language.
>
> The current budget does not do that for reasons that were discussed
> among the developers of GnuCash several years ago. In the end we got
> separate budget and scheduled transactions systems.
>
> Is there any ongoing discussion of how this might be developed
> further now we have the two systems in the codebase?

There is no ongoing discussion.

Unfortunately we can't you give any better answer than the following:

The described enhancement is a good proposal and would be an advantage
for the software. However, as a volunteer-driven project with limited
resources, the GnuCash developers have their own priorities about the
features which are most likely being worked on in the near future. In
that sense, the current GnuCash developers decided not to work on your
proposed feature in the next 4-6 months. In case you would like to
have this feature implemented in any case, you have the following
option: 1. Start to program in gnucash yourself - see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development . 2. Convince someone who is
not yet part of the GnuCash team to join the team and implement your
feature. 3. Pay some of the GnuCash developers to implement your
feature - ask on the mailing list gnucash-devel at gnucash.org in that
case.

I might be wrong, though, and maybe some developer *does* see your
feature on his/her personal priority list high enough. However, I
doubt that to be the case.

> I am not a programmer so I do not know where to start in trying to
> develop patches for what I would like to see but I have been around
> computers a lot and have dabbled with some database work so I have a
> reasonable notion of most of the backend concepts involved. I would
> like to help where I can and I have some ideas of what I think might
> work and how to implement it. Where do you think the most
> appropriate place to post my ideas would be?

With the above being said, the useful place for posting ideas is here
on the mailing list, but don't be disappointed if nobody replies (as
explained above). Additionally and/or subsequently, you can post your
ideas as a bugzilla enhancement request so that it won't be forgotten.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Christian