GSOC 2011 Idea : Business Integration with Cutecash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Apr 2 15:09:22 EDT 2011

Dear Samir,

thank you for your interest in working with gnucash in the GSoC 2011 program.
Your idea sounds interesting. As a first step, we suggest you should checkout
the gnucash sources from SVN  and build it yourself (on some Linux/Unix
computer), see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building - did you already do
this? This isn't clear from your message.

Also please follow the instructions on our wiki page
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2011#Student_Participants_Application because
that's why we gave the instructions.

As I said, your idea in general sounds interesting. However, for a promising
application you will have to add some more explanation about your actual goal,
such as GUI mockups or similar. Also, you said:

> Another motivation behind developing in Cutecash is that it can
> be built in MS Windows platform.

But this statement is a bit weird, as the normal gnucash *can* already be
built on the MS Windows platform, just as cutecash can. The only difference is
that cutecash can potentially be built and developed also by the Microsoft
Visual Studio compiler, which gnucash can't. But you've hopefully also seen
the warnings on the wiki page: It does compile (to be more precise: It did
compile last summer) and it does start, but it does not do the file operations
correctly, i.e. you cannot open or save files due to some technical issues
which I was too lazy to resolve.

> Please let me know if its an acceptable idea.

Yes, the idea is acceptable. But in order to hand in a good application,
you've got to do some more work on your idea. Thanks!

Regards,

Christian