Using Standard (Valid) HTML Code According to w3.org

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Apr 13 11:23:52 EDT 2011

On Apr 13, 2011, at 6:57 AM, Phil Longstaff wrote:

> If this is for trunk, I'd prefer that we *don't* just fix the current scheme
> code.   We really need to decide what we plan to do with reports for 2.6.  We
> have our current scheme reports.  We have a few eguile reports.  We've had a
> suggestion to use laml (http://www.cs.aau.dk/~normark/laml/) to allow us to more
> easily generate reports.  We've had suggestions to replace scheme with python
> for reports.
>
> I don't really have a preference, but I would like to see an updated report
> engine which is 1) common across all reports, 2) allows easy inclusion of CSS,
> 3) allows easy inclusion of javascript for things like hiding/expanding
> columns/sections of rows, 4) allows multi-column reports (e.g. balance sheet
> both today and beginning of every year for the past 3 years).

All worthy goals indeed. The replacement of Scheme with Python is a GSoC proposal, and that's in the adjudication phase with results to be announced the 25th. Even better would be a report generation tool with GUI query and formatting. None of it seems likely to happen for 2.6, though, simply because there isn't anyone at present to do it. Until someone turns up, getting specific validation bugs in the system at least cues someone to fix what we've got in easy, short tasks.

Regards,
John Ralls