Fresh build of jhbuild and gnucash on OSX

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Mon Apr 25 06:41:12 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Montag 25 April 2011, David Reiser wrote:
[...]
> Before you ditch libofx, be sure aqbanking can import investment data
> streams. Libofx does a decent job with investment ofx files. Aqbanking
> didn't come close the last time I checked (though it has been several
> months since I tried it.)
[...]

Not much has changed since the last time you tried, chiefly because I don't
know anything about OFX investment data.

The reason why I removed libofx from *AqBanking* was the buffer-length bug in
libofx which made it crash when file lines exceed a given length. That bug had
its root in the design of libofx (especially regarding the use of fixed-length
buffers) which couldn't be changed so easily, and since development in libofx
had stalled I decided to extend my own code to also read OFX data.

AqBanking's importer works reasonably well given the fact that I can't use it
for live data (since I don't have an account at a bank which supports OFX).
But I never really faced investment data. Some time ago somebody (I don't
remember the name) submitted a patch to improve AqBanking's OFX importer in
the investment area and this got included into the source tree.

A few times I asked for support in this field but never got very far. I needed
some information about what OFX data needs to be handled for the importer to
fully handle investment stuff...

AqBanking will continue to use its own OFX importer for OFX DirectConnect
because it is well integrated into AqBanking and can easily be extended to
maybe later handle payment requests etc. But I wouldn't remove Libofx support
from GnuCash since the AqBanking importer doesn't fully support investment
stuff, yet. And since libofx seems to have been revived maybe the buffer-
length bug will be fixed anytime soon (if it not already has been).

Regards
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Martin Preuss - http://www2.aquamaniac.de/
AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/