GnuCash GSoC application outcome

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Apr 26 15:06:59 EDT 2011

On dinsdag 26 april 2011, Ajay Thomas wrote:
> Christian,
>
> I thought gnucash had 4 student allocations but only 3 were selected. You
> had mentioned that in a mail to Marcin Copik (
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GSoC-Application-td3435491.html). Were
> you short of mentors? I thought Geert was to be a mentor. Also, I read that
> google would provide a mentor if an organization wasnt able to provide
> enough mentors.
>
> I would like to get some more feedback related to why my proposal was
> rejected. This way, I can atleast improve myself for the next year's GSoC.
> Was it because it was an idea of my own and hadn't been chosen from the
> ideas list? Plus does fixing bugs hold any value when it comes to GSoC or
> is it completely based on proposal?

Dear Ajay,

I can answer the part of me not being a mentor: there were several high
quality applications and yours was one of them. But not one of them I felt
capable of mentoring. For most of them I didn't have enough technical
experience myself, so I would be of little use to the student. The remaining
few were too far away from my personal interest, in which case I probably
would not have enough drive to complete the mentorship. Unfortunately a good
application is not the only requirement for a succesful project.

I am still available as a backup mentor and backup admin to support the three
chosen projects. Like this, these three projects have a better chance of
succeeding.

Of course, you are welcome to work on the GnuCash project outside of the GSoC
context if you like. You will find that if you engage on the devel mailing
list or the irc channel, you will usually get encouraging feedback on
proposals, questions or patches you send it.

Geert