r20585 - gnucash/trunk - Replace guile configure check by PKG_CHECK_MODULE so that it also works in cross-compiling.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Apr 27 16:20:36 EDT 2011

Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2011 schrieb J. Alex Aycinena:
> >> Replace guile configure check by PKG_CHECK_MODULE so that it also works
> >> in cross-compiling.
> >
> > After this commit I couldn't build gnucash anymore on linux. It turns out
> > that pkgcheck adds a library dependency (-lltdl) that was not there in
> > the guile configure code before.
> >
> > It's not a big deal in itself, I quickly figured out I had to install
> > libtool-ltdl-devel on my Fedora system to get it to build again.
>
> I too couldn't build on Fedora after this change until I saw this
> comment by Geert and installed libtool-ltdl-devel.
>
> > I'm just bringing it up because I think it would be good to mention this
> > in the build dependencies. I'm just not sure what is the most up to date
> > piece of documentation we have for that. There's a README.dependencies
> > in the src directory, but that looks horribly out of date. So is there
> > another place we document build dependencies ?
>
> Shouldn't /.configure be changed to check for the presence of this
> library? Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to check for most, if not all,
> of the others?

We don't link in this library ourselves, so we shouldn't (need to) check for
it as well.

I would blame the libguile-devel packager, because due to this linker flag the
libguile-devel package should have a dependency on libtool-ltdl-devel but
obviously the package manager is missing this dependency even though your
libguile.pc file implicitly has it. Maybe file a bug at Fedora?

But yes, it's rather annoying. On ubuntu, indeed guile-1.8-dev depends on
libltdl-dev. So that's why I didn't see any problems here.

Regards,

Christian