Recursive QofBooks

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Fri Aug 19 16:01:51 EDT 2011

Am Dienstag, 16. August 2011 schrieb John Ralls:
> On Aug 13, 2011, at 12:23 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > On zaterdag 13 augustus 2011, John Ralls wrote:
> >> Along a similar vein, there's src/engine/period.[ch] and the "gemini"
> >> structure which depends upon it. The idea there appears to be that when
> >> one closes the books (in the accounting sense) at the end of a period,
> >> the book (in the Gnucash sense) also gets closed out and a new one is
> >> cloned from the old one.
> >>  (...)
>
> I've removed Periods and all of the unused functions Muslim found while
> writing his unit tests. The result builds, runs, and passes make check.
> I've pushed it to
> https://github.com/jralls/gnucash/commits/Decruftification. If no one
> objects by Thursday morning (mine, UTC - 7), I'll rebase it onto trunk and
> commit it to SVN.

Doesn't the src/engine/Period.[hc] code have anything to do with our currently
existing menu item "Tools" -> "Close Books"? If that menu item indeed doesn't
use that code (which surprises me somewhat), the code can be removed. Checking
further, the "Close Books" is implemented in src/gnome-utils/dialog-book-
close.[hc], and it indeed doesn't use Periods. So I agree it can be removed.
Period. No pun intended :-)

Regards,

Christian