r21577 - gnucash/trunk/src/backend/xml - Fix xml backend to load and save invoice kvp values.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 7 09:43:44 EST 2011

Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> writes:

> --On December 6, 2011 3:01:54 PM -0800 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> wrote:
>
>>> This is not the optimal solution, but the best I can come up with in
>>> my  available time and with the state of the backends as they are
>>> now.
>>
>> No, I think that's got it.
>>
>> If you can't handle credit notes in 2.4 without too much of a change,
>> you could detect them at load and raise ERR_BACKEND_TOO_NEW, though I
>> admit that's not much of an improvement over failing to load because
>> of an unrecognized element.
>
> Could you bump the file version number only if credit notes exist in
> the file?  Or bump it the first time a credit note is used (leaving it
> bumped if all of them later get deleted)?  That might give you the
> best of both worlds: strict versioning, but old versions of Gnucash
> could open data files that don't use credit notes.
>
> Actually you wouldn't literally bump it, but rather set it to n if it
> is less than n (where n is the first version that supports credit
> notes).  Would this work?

This is effectively my "feature" flags suggestion from before.  You flag
(new) features as they are used, and refuse to load the database if
there are used features that you don't understand.