r21577 - gnucash/trunk/src/backend/xml - Fix xml backend to load and save invoice kvp values

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 8 09:28:46 EST 2011

Alex Aycinena <alex.aycinena at gmail.com> writes:

> In the change I will commit, the the xml backend will use the XML
> version number (currently 'gnc-v2') to determine if it can read the
> file and if it cannot, it will pop up a message to the user just like
> the sql backend does now, and not read the file (prior versions of
> gnucash, that is, the existing code that is deployed, will also not
> read the file but will give the user a cryptic message). Then, any
> time a developer adds anything to the xml that cannot safely be read
> by an already deployed gnucash, that xml version number should be
> increased (in your case to 'gnc-v2.0.1', for example) when the xml
> file is written. This will not be feature specific.

This is important for semantic changes to the XML format (e.g., you
change the meaning of some elements).  So I'm all for this change.

HOWEVER, I don't think this particular change is required to support the
credit notes feature, because credit notes is not a semantic change to
the XML, it's a self-contained syntactic change.  In this case the
feature-table is sufficient to signal the use/non-use.