gnucash: symbol lookup error

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:56:33 EST 2011

Geert, Derek,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
>
>> Op maandag 12 december 2011 22:52:06 schreef Alex Aycinena:
>>> I checked out the latest trunk revision 21729 and it builds OK.
>>> However, when I try to start it, I get the following error:
>>>
>>>   "symbol lookup error:
>>> /opt/gnucash-svn/gnucash-working/lib/gnucash/libgncmod-business-core.so:
>>> undefined symbol: scm_init_sw_business_core_module"
>>>
>>> and it terminates. Can somebody tell me how to correct this. I went
>>> back in stages to 21705 and had the same problem. I gave up after
>>> that. Are other people able to get the application to work? Fedora 15.
>>>
>> r21729 should not have libgncmod-business-core.so anymore. The complete
>> business-core module was merged into other parts of the source tree.
>>
>> I'm not sure what is the best method (read with least impact) to fix this, but
>> on my system I brute-force fixed this as follows:
>> 1. Remove the directory in which gnucash gets installed and built

Deleting the install directory seemed to be the answer; see comments below.

>> 2. remove my build directory (I do build in a directory separate from the
>> source directory, makes this kind of operations much easier.

I too use a different directory to build in.

>> 3. rerun autogen.sh, configure, make, ...
>>
>> I'm sure the same effect can be had by more subtle changes, but I don't know
>> that magic mantra.
>
> make maintainer-clean?

First I checked out a clean copy into a new directory and did a build
into a new build directory and this didn't solve the problem.

Then I did 'make maintainer-clean' in the build directory first.

Then I switched to the source directory, updated, ran autogen.sh,
switched to the build directory, ran configure and make, switched to
root in the build directory and ran make install. Same problem.

Then I renamed the install directory to get it out of the way and, as
root in the build directory, re-ran make install. This created a new
install directory. Then it worked!

So, to determine whether it was the 'make maintainer-clean' and the
use of a new install directory together or just the new install
directory that solved the problem, I did the whole thing in a separate
set of directories without 'make maintainer-clean' but with a new
install directory and that worked too.

>> Geert
>
> -derek
> --
>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Regards,

Alex