Git Migration: github with svn access

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Dec 25 13:26:34 EST 2011

On Dec 25, 2011, at 9:13 AM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:07 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> Indeed, that incantation does work. It seems to check out the current trunk
>>> branch. I can't figure out how to check out the 2.4 branch though, or the
>>> 2.4.x tag.
>>>
>>> Did you have more luck ?
>>
>> I have to admit that I didn't try... so I looked at the blog post again and I see that that was the old URL that they're supposed to be taking down. The correct URL doesn't work.
>>
>> The right one fails. I had a thought that it might be the presence of a "trunk" branch, so I changed "trunk" to "master" in my own Github repo (github.com/Gnucash/gnucash). No joy.
>>
>> I've sent a support request.
>
> Which they finally got around to handling (Tuesday, but I didn't test it until today). It works. Yay!

There's a catch, though: The numbers don't match up. To begin with, the first number is 89:
r89 | unknown | 1997-10-31 09:39:32 -0800 (Fri, 31 Oct 1997) | 3 lines

New repository initialized by cvs2svn.

git-svn-id: svn+ssh://svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/gnucash/trunk@3 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd

Notice that it's r3 in our svn numbering.
The numbers diverge even more later, because we have a single repo with multiple datasets (gnucash, gnucash-htdocs, gnucash-docs, and gnucash-meta), but those are separate repos in git -- and gnucash-meta isn't exported to git yet. So every revision in one of the "other" datasets creates a discrepancy. The HEAD of the 2.4 branch is
r17583 | john.ralls | 2011-12-24 08:58:55 -0800 (Sat, 24 Dec 2011) | 3 lines

Add gdk_pixbuf to the distribution

git-svn-id: svn+ssh://svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/branches/2.4@21777 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd

and of Trunk:
r17581 | geert.janssens | 2011-12-23 21:27:56 -0800 (Fri, 23 Dec 2011) | 4 lines

Win32 build: abort build process if install.sh step failed.
BP

git-svn-id: svn+ssh://svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/trunk@21775 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd

The only time this is likely to be a problem is if someone does a build from an SVN checkout: It will look like they've used a really old version.

Regards (and Merry Christmas),
John Ralls