r21768 - gnucash/branches/2.4/packaging/win32 - More changes to compile gtk-2.24.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Dec 27 16:51:46 EST 2011

Op dinsdag 27 december 2011 00:18:46 schreef John Ralls:
> Well, that didn't actually work out.
>
> There is enough goofiness with MinGW GCC 4.4.0 that I couldn't get it to
> link properly in a couple of places, and the one that ultimately kicked my
> butt was libgsf->libxml2, where the linker won't accept that
> xmlGenericError actually *is* exported, even though several other libraries
> link it just fine.
>
> So I spent a couple of (partial) days with GCC 4.5 guile 1.8.7. No joy (and
> this won't be any surprise to Geert) because Slib has an issue with its
> load path. It sure looks to me like Guile treats paths differently under
> Win32 than under Darwin & Linux, because (use-modules (ice-9 slib)) works
> fine in the latter and fails with a duplicated path in the former. I'm very
> much a Scheme/Guile noob, though, so I'm very likely missing the real
> problem. I can't even add (write) calls to get guile.init to tell me where
> it's going astray.
>
> So at this point I'm not sure where to go. It's tempting indeed to say that
> Geert should just backport the changes that got rid of SLib: They're not
> likely to be central to anything besides reports -- and besides, they're
> known to mostly work. OTOH, it seems risky to introduce a significant
> change right before a release... so how significant are the changes?

Hi John,

I'm very sorry GCC 4.4 didn't work out. I had really hoped I didn't succeed
because my knowledge of the build system was too limited, but clearly there
are other issues.

While you were at it, I already silently tried to backport all guile 1.8.8
related changes to 2.4, but that didn't succeed either. I probably still
missed some commits.

This continues to show what a hornet's nest the depedencies on Windows are.

At this point I'm actually more inclined to go for plan B, forget the
dependency updates on 2.4 and instead focus on getting 2.6 ready and with
aqbanking 5.

Geert