2.6 Release -- SCheme

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Dec 31 18:41:55 EST 2011

--On December 31, 2011 6:31:34 PM -0500 Donald Allen
<donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> If there is agreement among the developers that this is an attractive
> alternative to Guile, I would advise doing some prototyping to
> evaluate the performance of Python for report generation. My guess is
> that it will be faster than Guile, but that's only a guess. It should
> be tested before committing to it. One of the problems (and not the
> only one) with the current report system is performance, and it would
> not be smart to invest a lot of effort in a new system that had the
> same problem.

Having looked at a number of reports, and optimized some by factors of
5 or more, I don't think changing the language will help this problem.
Even if the Guile interpreter were infinitely fast, some reports would
still be slow because of the algorithms they use.  They often do
multiple passes over large searches through the Gnucash data.  That is
where the time often goes.  Of course if all the reports were
rewritten, these problems might be fixed in passing.

         Mike