A git mirror for Gnucash's Subversion Repository

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Feb 17 02:57:14 EST 2011

Dear John and all,

thanks a lot for setting this up! It is indeed interesting to see the
latest SVN commits show up as cloned git commits rather soon by your
cron job. https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commits/master

As discussed before, I'm very much interested to play around with this
new possibilities and see how git can indeed make our workflow easier
(e.g.  forking on github etc). One fun feature of github are the
comments on each commit, including comments on particular source code
lines:

https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/91dc3f05bf16d0f352498289038191a5143daf13#configure.ac-P20

Zitat von John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>:
> What I found [1][2] ...

Errr, I didn't see the URLs to those references in your message...

> public repository -- but must never push to it. If he has svn commit
> privilege, he can also configure the git-svn information into his
> repo so that he can dcommit back into subversion. Those subversion
> changes will be eventually be reflected in the public git repo, and
> git-svn is smart enough to recognize the commit when it comes back
> around.

This is very much the workflow as described on
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1880405/can-different-git-svn-clones-of-the-same-svn-repository-expect-to-be-able-to-shar/3422422#3422422 and the reference to http://blog.tfnico.com/2010/08/example-git-svn-mirror-workflow.html : As a developer with write access, I will continue to use git-svn locally, but with the shared public git repo in between and also running the
command

   git update-ref refs/remotes/git-svn refs/remotes/origin/master

each time after I've pulled from our shared git repo. Sounds doable.

> Developers without svn commit privs will have to send a pull request
> to someone who does. Github provides an easy mechanism for
> generating pull requests from one's own Github repo. Github also
> makes collaboration on feature branches easy -- they just have to be
> in your own Github Gnucash repo, not in the "official" one that
> mirrors subversion.

I expect a large benefit here because recently I've been doing a lot
of patch committing, and it is cumbersome to figure out the correct -p
argument which is different in each patch, and also setting up a
suitable commit message. I expect if people send me a pull request I
know I can already get their patches by the simple "git pull", not
having to deal with patch formats or commit messages anymore. At least
this part is surely an improvement for our (and particularly my)
workflow.

Best Regards,

Christian