2.4 and sqlite...

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Jan 1 16:17:06 EST 2011

On Sat, January 1, 2011 2:57 pm, Gour wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 14:48:20 -0500
>
> John> Same here, rebuilding libdbd-sqlite3 didn't fix the problem, and
> John> libdbi isn't building.
>
> I just wonder how it could be that after so many 2.3.x releases, sqlite
> back-end was so poorly tested that there is now release with such bug?

Because it's not *our* bug, it's a bug in libdbi, and it's a bug that only
affects certain builds of libdbi, and at the time this came up it was
discovered on Fedora and promptly fixed in Fedora.  Ubuntu only recently
changed their build to include the buggy flag.

I don't know enough about the bug to tell you whether it's something that
we can easily detect at runtime.  But it's certainly the case that you can
build GnuCash against the working version and then upgrade the library to
the broken version and GnuCash will stop working.  Similarly, if you build
GnuCash against the broken version of libdbi and then replace it with a
working version then it should start working again.

Ideally, if there *is* a runtime test we could do, we should be able to
see if we'll hit the bug and pop up a dialog message saying something like
"GnuCash detected a broken libdbi; please contact your distribution
maintainers and point them to <url>".

Again, this is *not* a bug in GnuCash, but a bug where libdbi does not
return valid data when compiled with fast math.