2.4 and sqlite...

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 2 15:44:58 EST 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Phil Longstaff wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 08:23 +0100, Gour wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:17:06 -0500
>>
>> Derek> Because it's not *our* bug, it's a bug in libdbi,
>>
>> I'm aware it's not Gnucash bug...
>>
>> Derek> and it's a bug Derek> that only affects certain builds of libdbi,
>>
>> but I didn't know about the latter.
>
> I'm not positive, but I think it might only affect 64-bit builds or
> builds on powerPC architecture.

[snip]
> One of the reasons for all of the 2.3.X releases was to try to get the
> sql backend tested better than the developers were able to.  I'm the
> major sql backend developer and have been using it while it was being
> developed.  I have never used all of the business features, so my
> testing for those features has been minimal.  I use 32-bit linux, so
> never tested at all on a 64-bit system.  I do dual-boot windows so have
> done minimal windows testing.  I don't have a mac so have to rely on
> others for mac testing.  By releasing development versions, we hope that
> more people testing will cover more configurations and provide feedback
> which we can't easily test on our own.

The bug affects only 32-bit x86 builds with gcc 4.3 or later. It was detected during 2.3 testing on Fedora and resolved with the Fedora maintainers. Ubuntu 10.4 shipped 0.8.2 and so didn't have the problem; when they shipped 10.10 with 0.8.3 they were broken, too, and a user filed a bug report with them in early November. They have ignored that bug report.

Regards,
John Ralls