Public Git repo

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jan 2 20:56:47 EST 2011

Hi,

]

>>> On another note, now that 2.4.0 is out, how do we feel about setting up
>>> an official Git repo, say git.gnucash.org? Or even an official GnuCash
>>> repo on GitHub/Gitorious/something else.
>>
>> Not that I know of, but I'm willing to make one and put it somewhere.
>> Our sourceforge project would be a logical place if Christian or Derek
>> would set it up. (I think they're the ones with admin privs, but that's
>> based on the "by" line because I don't have privs to see the member
>> page).
>
> Oh yeah, SF is logical
 forgot about that one.

]

.

> Here’s a very easy way for us to try out Git: create a gatekeeper Git repo
> maintained by one or more people (by maintained I mean that someone syncs
> it with the SVN repo). This gatekeeper repo would be the single point of
> collaboration for everyone using Git.

I think it is premature to have a "canonical" git repository.

If you want to play with Git that's great.  I'm certainly not against
moving from svn to git (although before we do so I think we need to
carefully think about *why* we're moving to git and think hard about what
git provides that can't be accomplished using other tools, and also think
about what we might be losing by moving to git.

Still, I think it's perfectly reasonable to experiment with git.  HOWEVER
until we, the set of developers, decide as a group to migrate to git we
should not bless any tree as "the canonical tree".  I suspect it will take
a number of experimental migrations to make sure we get a complete
migration including history.

So..  Feel free to play with git.  But don't expect your SHA history to
remain 100% complete or that the repo you create will at all resemble the
"offical" git repo, assuming we do change over to git.

And for the record, I feel using github would be okay for these trials,
but the official git repository should remain on our own server.
(Creating git.gnucash.org as a cname for code is perfectly reasonable, if
we decide to move to git).

So let me push this back to you and ask:  Why do you want git?  What does
git provide that we're not getting with SVN (other than personal,
"offline" branches, which you can get through git-svn or svk or a number
of other tools)?