Public Git repo

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Jan 3 04:40:09 EST 2011

Zitat von Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com>:
> And for the record, I feel using github would be okay for these trials,
> but the official git repository should remain on our own server.
> (Creating git.gnucash.org as a cname for code is perfectly reasonable, if
> we decide to move to git).

I've grown to like github very much. Their site is just an ideal
extension of the git content into a website, and it's darn fast. Much
faster than sourceforge has ever appeared to me (though it has
improved recently, too). Actually I now think we could very well
decide to have our source code hosted *not* on a gnucash.org site
anymore. Instead, the gnucash.org site is just that: Our public
website. With git the source code is somewhere else but every
developer has a full copy of the repo anyway and due to the SHA1 we
know nobody has manipulated it regardless of its location. Hence, if
the git experiment goes well and the active developers like it, I
would indeed consider moving the main repository away from gnucash.org.

> So let me push this back to you and ask:  Why do you want git?  What does
> git provide that we're not getting with SVN (other than personal,
> "offline" branches, which you can get through git-svn or svk or a number
> of other tools)?

Yawar already explained all the advantages. My main point is that even
though we can have offline branches with git-svn or svk, we still do
*not* have the corresponding merging facility. (As we know, SVN sucks
at merging any given branch more than once, and it even sucks on the
very first merging.) Having the possibility to do not only branching
but also regular merging between multiple parallel branches easily
(stable and experimental branch) is enough of a benefit to justify a
transition away from SVN. After using git for some time and noticing
how this merging is still missing, I would love to get away from SVN
rather sooner than later.

But in any case, setting up the experiment on github is for sure a
good next step here.

Regards,

Christian