Splitting the slots table

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 3 12:00:14 EST 2011

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> We need to re-think KVP entirely: It doesn't match up very well with
> the relational model.

Yeah.  The KVP model works great for XML extensibility.  It does suck
for SQL extensibility.

As we move forward I think we need to think about both methods.  We have
some requirements in that object A needs to somehow mark/tag object B
but Object B doesn't know about said tagging.  I'm not sure how you go
about doing that in a full relational database.  I suppose you could
have a "object B tag from object A" table using a foreign key, but then
you have to do a table join to get the data out, and you need to make
sure that you remove the data from this new table if the object is
removed from the main table.....

It all gets very complicated very quickly.