Splitting the slots table

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 4 09:14:43 EST 2011

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> The policy that Derek declared a couple of weeks ago was that stable
> has to have added to it the ability to read dev's data. You're
> absolutely right that it shouldn't be able to write to a higher-rev's
> database; it should have to "save as".

I'm fine with this approach.  I do believe that "latest stable" needs to
read dev, however I do not belive it needs to 'write' dev.  Granted, I'm
not sure how we accomplish that in the current methods.  We don't really
have "readonly" status, and it's harder in a SQL solution because if you
know how to read SQL you can generally write it.

> We don't *have* to drop XML support: There's a very capable XML query
> language (XQuery) and several backends that support it. To mix it with
> sql would require an abstraction layer, of course, but we'll want that
> anyway so that there aren't sql strings scattered around the
> codebase. It probably makes sense to provide an XML export/import
> facility as well.

I'm happy with (eventually) relegating XML to an import/export format
and removing it as a primary file storage solution.