Where can I find the portable version of Gnucash 2.4.0

Kim Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 4 16:06:58 EST 2011

James,

I frequently use GnuCash from my USB key too.  The PortableApps.com people
do a really good job, but as you have stated, have not released GnuCash
2.4.0 yet.  I am sure that they will at some stage.

I use X-GnuCash 2.4.0 which you can download from www.winpenpack.com   It is
stable, and is a very good portable implementation which will play well with
your PortableApps.com menu.  I have used their 2.3.x beta series for many
months, and am now very happy with their 2.4.0 portable version.

If you are using John Haller's PortableApps.com menu, then simply create a
X-GnuCash subdirectory in the PortableApps directory, and extract the
winpenpack zipped X-GnuCash_2.4.0_rev11.zip file into it.  When you refresh
of load the menu, X-GnuCash will appear in the menu.  It remembers all
settings, and will run very happily in portable mode allowing you to take
GnuCash on the road and run on  multiple machines.

If you want to run without the PortableApps.com menu or any other portable
launcher menu app - then just create the X-GnuCash directory wherever you
want to put it, and extract the x-GnuCash_2.4.0_rev11.zip into it.  To run
it, you simply run the toip level directory X-GnuCash.exe file.

I am a fan of the PortableApps.com menu, so that is my preferred method to
launch my various portable applications.

Regards,

Kim