2.4.0 UI Issue under OS X

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 7 16:42:17 EST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Anthony Dardis wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:45:35 -0500, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Using 2.4.0 (r19974 built 2010-12-26) from the downloaded dmg under OS X 10.5.8, I have noticed an intermittent oddity that I don't understand.
>>
>> There are times (not yet reliably reproducible) when I run a report or process (such as reconciling) where the toolbar or dialog buttons will not initially respond to a direct click. In other words, I select a report and run it, and then attempt to click the Options button on the toolbar, and the button does nothing. The button will only respond if I click on a blank part of the toolbar first; after that, the button responds. It appears (although I haven't been able to pin this down for sure, either) that all subsequent tries in the session work.
>>
>> As I said, this only happens intermittently, and each time it happens, I'm usually not paying attention to the immediate actions prior to the event (actually, each time, I think I imagine it, but it keeps happening). It seems almost as if I need to tell the application manually that I am interested in the button on the toolbar--similar to the fact that when I return to a register, I have to tell the application that I am still interested in entering data in the transaction.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>

> This may be related: in the Budget window, click on an account. The Options button has focus; to use the Estimate button, I clicked on the button (no visible change), *then* moved the mouse pointer on the button just a bit, *then* was able to click the Estimate button. This was consistent over entering estimates for several accounts in a row.

This has been a low-level problem since I began using gtk-quartz for Gnucash (meaning that it was also there in 2.2.9). I imagine that it has something to do with the transfer of events from CoreFoundation (the bit of OSX that handles low-level events like mouse clicks) to Gdk (what passes for a hardware abstraction layer in Gtk). It seems especially common when one just launches a dialog box or does something with a report, but it happens other times too.

Regards,
John Ralls