Public Git repo: Status update

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 8 17:16:08 EST 2011

On Jan 8, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Yawar Amin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2011-01-07, at 23:56, John Ralls wrote:
>
>>> […]
>>
>> I've moved you into the "owners" group. Do what you will.
>
> Thanks. I’ve pushed a new gnucash repository, as well as a gnucash-docs repository.
>
>> I've attached the authors file I made. If you reimport from svn it will match up svn accounts with github accounts using the same mailing addresses. It will be interesting to see who has pictures. ;-)
>
> I used your authors file, with a couple of tweaks, to re-import gnucash-docs, so take a look at that repo to see some pictures :-)
>
> Also, I’m currently rewriting the Git page in the GnuCash wiki to detail the whole process, so it’s something of a work in progress. In general I would recommend people wait until I finish writing up the usage caveats and restrictions until starting to use the Git repos on GitHub; but really, the most important thing is to do all your work in a throwaway Git branch (not master) if you want to contribute. The reason is that the git svn dcommit command creates a new Git HEAD when it commits, and that new head will become the SVN trunk, not the contributor’s master HEAD. I hope that makes sense! In any case, the important thing is to make contributions on throwaway branches.

Does that mean that the throwaway branches have to get pushed to github and you have to pull them and merge them into your git-svn master to dcommit them? Yuck!

Maybe instead you could create a fake-master branch off of master in your git-svn repo and tie fake-master to github's master. Then you can
 git svn rebase master
 git checkout fake-master
 git merge master
 git pull --rebase github fake-master
 git push github fake-master
 git checkout master
 git merge fake-master
 git dcommit

(In a script, of course).
That way we can keep our throwaway branches to ourselves, the github repo will look reasonable, and you don't have to do a bunch of hand merging and branch deleting.

Regards,
John Ralls