Challenging python coders: Who can create a gnucash-like GUI in python in a few weeks?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Jan 10 05:50:25 EST 2011

On 10 Jan 2011, at 12:24 PM, Christian Stimming wrote:

> We've been discussing various future directions for gnucash,
> including a switch to a different programming language for the GUI
> code [1]. GUI coding in C sucks. Because of this, I've experimented
> with C++/Qt and was able to write up a usable gnucash-like register
> window GUI in 2-3 weeks which already includes features that are
> unavailable in "conventional gnucash" [2]. I chose C++/Qt because
> I'm very familiar and productive with that platform.

Something that would be really awesome would be to look at the GUI
code in such a way as to ensure that writing the GUI code for the
native platform would be simple and easy to do.

In other words, it would be awesome if there was a native MacOSX
version of gnucash, that used the Cocoa interface natively, and a
native Windows version of gnucash, that used the Windows APIs
natively, etc.

I think rather than focusing on a GUI, rather focus on a clean API to
the gnucash core, that a GUI might call easily. That will free up a
python coder to use the python bindings to make a python based
interface (as you've suggested), or a Cocoa coder to make MacOSX
bindings, etc.

Regards,
Graham