Challenging python coders: Who can create a gnucash-like GUI in python in a few weeks?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 11 00:05:34 EST 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 7:12 AM, Jeff Kletsky wrote:

> * "xPad" aware
>
> Consider that I wouldn't be surprised if there are more iPads out there than Linux desktops. Android is on the upswing. The increasing number of handheld devices, to some extent, argues against heavyweight interpreters. Why should the user have to not only download an app, but also another language interpreter, and potentially another GUI framework? I'm not saying that GNUCash must be in Objective C, but thinking about platform support and impact is worthwhile.

That's somewhat conflicting: Android is Java: Portable, but looks crappy on everything else. Might require rewriting the backend in Java, too. Apple's iOS is Objective-C native, but I think that Qt supports it and I know that wxWidgets does, so the C backend with a C++ frontend will work.

Regards,
John Ralls