Total Crash and Lost Data

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 00:56:41 EST 2011

Randy--

When you sign on to an Open Source project (which you have by using Gnucash and sending an email to the list), you buy in to the standing ethos of these projects. A core part of this is that there is no "us" and "them"; there are different levels of members in the community. Many of us are users just like yourself who may have beefs (beeves?) with some part or another of the program, but we are willing to put up with those because we know that if we can find a reasonable way to work together, we all and the program benefit.

If you don't want to put in any effort, then go out and buy Quicken; it should work fine for you.

Sending a curt email to the list bitching that the developers "need" to do something, without being willing to provide even the most basic pieces of information (such as the operating system you're using) is not likely to achieve your goals (whatever they might be).

I had nearly put into my original email that a disclaimer could certainly be put in the documentation, and I would have proposed (based on your email) that it say: "Warning. Things you do can cause things to go wrong! And sometimes, things just go wrong, and you must figure out how to fix them." Because that's about all any one of us could have concluded based on what you wrote.

David