Total Crash and Lost Data

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 18 11:14:21 EST 2011

Randy,

"Randy Aldering" <alderingr at housesmithe.com> writes:

> Good grief, my apologies.  One could resent the suggestion that the users of GnuCash and other
> OpenSource projects do not support them financially.  For my type of personality, all of that
> reading is a bit much.  GnuCash has not been generating .xac files for two years, and it still
> isn't under the latest release, so that is not some thing that I have a lot of control over,as far
> as I can tell..  By the by, I DID search for data loss, and got nothing.  I'm also not the type to
> write a dissertation detailing "what happened" BEFORE I actually make contact with some one.  If
> that is some how "wrong," then that is truly unfortunate.  Thanks for all the help, any way.  I
> appreciate the thoughtful use of donation money.

One thing you failed to mention in your email is that your "data loss"
is due to you running an early Alpha version, 2.3.4, and using the
SQLite storage mechanism.  This is also why there are no automated
backup files; the SQL backend doesn't create them (because, well,
you can't just 'save' the data like the XML backend).

Still, I thought we recovered your data when I was helping you on IRC
yesterday?  At least you left IRC happy.  If you were still having
problems you could have come back?

-derek

PS: For the record, the Alpha releases vociferously exclaim that you
could lose data by using them.