date completion

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jan 21 08:09:08 EST 2011

[ this is a resend, as I accidentally sent it first to gnucash-patches ]

On Wednesday 12 January 2011, Peter Selinger wrote:
> [removing gnucash-user from the cc list]
>
> Hi Geert,
>
> yes, I see your point. Of the patch that I submitted, about 10 lines
> are for calculating the actual dates, and all the rest for the user
> preference.
>
> I thought a preference might be in order mostly because of backward
> compatibility. Personally, when I upgrade to a new version of some
> software, I don't like the default behavior to change. It would not be
> too confusing in January, but say if someone enters a transaction for
> December in May, or for May in December, the sliding window thing
> might be unexpected and surprising. Especially considering that when
> you enter a transaction in the transaction editor and the date is not
> what you expected, the just-entered transaction jumps outside the view
> and the window doesn't scroll to it. I have often wasted a bit of time
> trying to find the transaction I just entered.
>
> Also, it's not uncommon for me at tax time (April) to enter a lot of
> transactions for the whole year, all of which will be in the past,
> hence the configurability of the sliding window. For this reason, I
> considered making this even more configurable: for example, allowing a
> 12-month period that does not include the present date (e.g., previous
> calendar year, previous fiscal year).
>
> These are just a few thoughts. I would be totally okay with hardcoding
> the window to 6 months, as that is the setting I would choose for
> myself. I just didn't want to force my preference on everybody!
>
> -- Peter

I find your arguments very sound, so I consider this a good use of options.
Hence I have committed your patch, with just some minore changes to deal with
the situation that the options don't exist yet in gconf.

Thanks for this patch !

Geert