OFX not translated?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Jan 22 07:21:39 EST 2011

Am Freitag, 21. Januar 2011 schrieb Jeff Kletsky:
> Digging into the source of the "Account unknown Bank unknown" string
> (that annoys me immensely), I looked at
>
> src/import-export/ofx/gnc-ofx-import.c
>
> and find it laden with UI-destined strings that aren't translated. For
> example:
>
>                  case OFX_DEBIT:
>                      strncpy(dest_string, "Generic debit",
> sizeof(dest_string));
>                      break;
>                  case OFX_INT:
>                      strncpy(dest_string, "Interest earned or paid
> (Note: Depends on signage of amount)", sizeof(dest_string));
>                      break;
>                  case OFX_DIV:
>                      strncpy(dest_string, "Dividend", sizeof(dest_string));
>                      break;
>

> Is there a reason (past time and effort) that these were not gettext-ified?

They are a whole bunch of strings whose meaning is totally unclear. IMHO a
translator could at most have guessed what this should be here. For that
reason, and because OFX seems to be used in english-speaking contries alone
anyway, I decided those should better be left in the original language.

Before marking them as translatable, one would need to look up whether those
strings actually describe the OFX transaction correctly, or whether they
should be changed to something else anyway.

Regards,

Christian