SQL Version

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 31 11:49:26 EST 2011

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> On Jan 31, 2011, at 7:50 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>
>>> The versions table is defined with an int in the second field, which is why the git hash isn't writing.  There's likely an error message about that in Geert's gnucash.trace.
>>>
>>> So we can use a serial number in gnc-version.h or construct an int out of the release version in configure (perhaps with a "micro" component added in on trunk for when we need to change things between releases). I'm inclined towards the latter, because it's mostly automatic. Do you really feel strongly about having a serial number instead?
>>
>> I think generating something from the version number would be fine, if
>> we can figure out some way to handle it (sort of like a DNS SOA serial
>> number).  Something like GnuCash version x.y.z -> XXYYZZVV
>>
>> The hard question is:  how do we encode the 'VV' version such that it
>> gets reset to 0 whenever we reset the gnucash version in configure.ac?
>>
>> Any system we use has risks and problems.
>
> Well, I implemented exactly that over the weekend. "VV" is
> GNUCASH_NANO_VERSION, and it's in configure.ac right underneath the
> AC_INIT that sets the rest of the versions so that it will be easy to
> remember to zero out when the version number gets bumped.

Yeah, I saw that as I was going through the patches after I sent this.
How is this any different than just setting a number in
e.g. gnc-sql-schema-version.h?  A developer still needs to remember to
update the nano-version any time they make a schema change..

But the current method also means that gnucash 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 would
consider themselves different even if the schema does not change.