Reporting system and potentially Python

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 01:15:02 EDT 2011

On 2011-07-07, at 21:48, Tim M wrote:

> […]
> Thoughts?

I like the idea of XML -> HTML + CSS + JavaScript plots. How about moving to a completely declarative XML report, where we use XML tags to ask for things like account names and balances, and using the Scheme (or Python) reporting engine to replace the XML tags with actual values? That way, you can have something like:

<report>
 <title>Income Statement</title>
 <subtitle>
  <start_date/> to <end_date/>
 </subtitle>

 <filter type=“date”>
  <from><start_date/></from>
  <to><end_date/></to>

  <tabular>
   <account_group name=“income”/>
   <account_group name=“expenses”/>
   <account title=“Net Profit (Loss)”>
    <add>
     <account_group_balance name=“income”/>
     <account_group_balance name=“expenses”/>
    </add>
   </account>
  </tabular>

 </filter type=“date”>
</report>

So people can be given a set of XML reporting ‘primitives’, and combine them in different ways to write different reports.

My 2c,

Yawar