Lost input in quickfill cells due to race

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Mon Jul 18 10:43:04 EDT 2011

Dear Jim,

in May you sent us a very useful patch to get rid of lost characters during
auto-completion ("quickfill") of text input in the account register window.

However, subsequently I noticed a change in behaviour of the register auto-
completion. Namely, during typing sometimes the cursor jumps to the end of the
selection where instead it previously stayed inside the selection, or more
precisely, when typing a quick-filled word character by character, the cursor
previously stayed right after the character that was just typed, but now it
occasionally jumps to the end of the selection. In effect, when typing
"Groceries", I type "G r o", but after the "G r" the cursor jumped to the end
of the selection and I end up with the word "Grocerieso", which is annoying.

Reverting your patch from May (r20689) will make this behaviour go away again.
This is Ubuntu 10.10 with gtk-2.20.1. I don't want to revert your patch right
away as I'm sure you had some other bugs that went away by your patch, but
this particular other issue was introduced by it. (Unfortunately, it also went
into the stable 2.4.6 already, so it needs to be fixed there as well...)

Do you have any ideas here?

Regards,

Christian