GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR and ./configure --docdir

Micha Lenk micha at lenk.info
Sat Jun 4 18:33:07 EDT 2011

Hi,

when I just tried to tweak some details for the recent Debian packages
for Gnucash, I discovered that the configure option --docdir apparently
has no effect. A short view into configure.ac and the Makefile.am files
revealed that the reason is that GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR is set to
${pkgdatadir}/doc in configure.ac, and $docdir is set to
${GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR} in Makefile.am files. This means an explicitly
configured $docdir will always get overwritten by a path that is derived
from $pkgdatadir.

I think the reason is that the --docdir parameter was added to Autoconf
in 2.60 (see also the [1]release announcement), so with older Autoconf
releases the build system needed to define $docdir on its own.

 1. http://www.mail-archive.com/autotools-announce@gnu.org/msg00016.html

To fix the issue I would like to change the minimal Autoconf requirement
from 2.59 to 2.60 and initialize GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR to ${docdir} (see
attached patch).

Does anybody see an issue with this patch?

Would it be sensible to cleanup even more at this occasion and replace
any usage of GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR by $docdir?

Cheers,
Micha