RFC: Adding some management structure, particularly for decisions about our donation account

Robert L Brush III gnucash at wvit.net
Thu Jun 9 21:03:23 EDT 2011

> Judging from the very little reaction on this message here, it seems that
> almost nobody really cares about the existence of the donation money and/or
> what is being done with it. In that case we have to continue to live with
> the unclear decision process about the donation account.
I think the quiet response is a combination of approval for the way things are
now (fine, I'm quite sure) and avoidance of more things to do.  I feel very
strongly that things should be clarified and a strong structure should be
developed.

I would like to see growth in the user community and a strong push for
financial support.  With Red Hat pushing the billion dollar revenue/year mark,
we have to be ready.  If the stream we are in, is growing that fast, we simply
cannot ignore the potential.  That's not the only game, and definately not the
only growth.

> In particular, if I have some idea about a potential use of the account
> money (such as starting our own bounty program), I guess I'll just discuss
> possible uses of this money privately with Derek, then announce those here
> and go ahead with the proposals unless there are strong objections from
> core developers. Does that sound reasonable? Other proposals? Comments?

I would value transparency, but understand the risk of becoming a target.

The value of a gnucash entity would be in asking for donations, if you present
the the need, the shortest path to a workable solution is to donate ... to the
gnucash organization.. this is safe,  others have done this in the past,
see... the results are of the highest quality, I know we will find support!

Please further the discussion and lay the ground work, it's time.

Bob Brush