Is it possible to change an already committed commit message?

Cristian Marchi cri79 at libero.it
Sun Mar 13 13:29:58 EDT 2011

I run this command in the ...guide/C/ folder:

svn propedit -r 20415 --revprop svn:log

Then I change the old commit message in the text editor that opens and
save the file.

After saving that's what I see:

svn: Revprop change blocked by pre-revprop-change hook (exit code 1)
with output:
Sorry [cmarchi], you cannot change [svn:log].

I've also tried with:

svn propset -r 20145 --revprop svn:log "Change ppi to 144 for all
figures and remove a unused screenshot."

but I get the same message.