Gnucash 2.4.4 released

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 16:19:15 EDT 2011

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> From: Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
> Subject: Re: Gnucash 2.4.4 released
> To: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
> Cc: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>, "Derek Atkins" <warlord at mit.edu>
> Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 12:41 PM
> On dinsdag 15 maart 2011, David T.
> wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 3/15/11, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
> wrote:
> > > From: Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
> > > Subject: Re: Gnucash 2.4.4 released
> > > To: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> > > Cc: "Phil Longstaff" <plongstaff at rogers.com>,
> "Gnucash Devel Mailing
> > > List" <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org>,
> "gnucash-user"
> > > <gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org>
> Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 7:09 AM
> > > David,

> direct link
> > >
> > > to Sourceforge

> page.
> > >
> > > What do you mean by "direct link to
> Sourceforge"?  The
> > > download links in
> > > the upper-right of the gnucash homepage do point
> to SF.
> >
> > The download links are for the actual files themselves
> (e.g.
> > http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/Gnucash-Intel-2.4.4.d
> > mg). I was suggesting including a link to
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/
> or even
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/, so that
> visitors can see
> > generally what is available from Sourceforge, if for
> some reason they need
> > to see that.
> >
> > David
> >
> That information is available on the Downloads page.
> There are two ways to get to this page:
> The "Downloads" link in the menu on the left or the "More
> Downloads (Source,
> Development,...)" link in the Download frame on the top
> right of the home
> page. Simply following one of these links will give a more
> detailed list of
> download options, including the all downloads on
> sourceforge (last link on the
> page). In my opinion that is accessible enough.
>
> I'm not sure it would be a good idea to the full
> sourceforge information on
> the main page. I feel it would only clutter the page and
> confuse people that
> are less tech savvy. The "More downloads" link should in my
> opinion be a
> sufficient hint that there are more downloads available for
> someone that is
> searching for those.
>
> Geert

Geert--

I agree with your points, now that I see that link at the bottom of the More Downloads page.

I spent some time looking at Gnucash.org trying to find those links. I apologize for not seeing them. Honestly, I stopped looking at the page, since it went into detail about installing under various distros of Linux, obtaining Source code, and the unstable 2.3.17 release.

Perhaps the page could be clearer.

The Linux section technically doesn't discuss downloading, and might be better handled with a link to a discussion about installation under Linux. Perhaps it could simply have the first paragraph, with a link to a Linux installation page, instead of having distro-specific notes included here.

Also, maybe a brief note after the title to explain how this page is organized would help. Something like:

1. Download Gnucash
Gnucash is supported for several operating systems. Installer files are available for both stable and unstable releases, and are listed below. There are also links to the source code, if you want or need to compile from source. Instructions for this can be found at <link>.

If you do not see the file you need listed here, you can view all Gnucash downloads at Sourceforge. {making this a link}

I know this is redundant to information on the main page, but I think a little redundancy might be clearer.

David