Work on Python reporting and Scripting engine for GNU cash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Mar 15 17:11:41 EDT 2011

Dear Rahul,

good to hear you can build from source now.

Can you make sure to run configure with --enable-python, then check the
examples in the directory src/optional/python-bindings/example_scripts whether
you can run them as described in the files, respectively? This should give you
a first feeling on how python programming of gnucash will look like.

On another note, you can try the pygtk http://www.pygtk.org library to see how
creating gtk GUI elements will look like in python.

In your GSoC project, you can either try to add new GUI elements into gnucash
using python and pygtk, such as a new interface to certain tasks that you need
to do yourself but where you don't like the GUI right now. Or you can rather
do some non-GUI coding with python, such as preparing and writing a text
report for some numbers throughout gnucash.

On the mailing list we've already received a patch that will add a python
module into gnucash itself. The current optional/python-bindings is only a
temporary solution in case one wants to write external python scripts, but
again, it's a good first step for you to see what it will look like.

Best Regards,

Christian