2.4 branch created (Re: Proposal: Branch 2.4-stable and trunk now)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 20 20:53:51 EDT 2011

On Mar 20, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Samstag, 12. März 2011 schrieb Geert Janssens:

>>> I would like to see a stable 2.4.4 release ASAP for the reasons explained
>>> a few days ago. I was thinking of waiting with a 2.4-stable branch until
>>> after that release is tagged.
>
> A 2.4 ("stable") branch has now been created. That means
>
> * Subsequent 2.4.x releases will be made from that 2.4 branch instead of trunk
>
> * trunk is now "experimental" again, meaning developers are encouraged to add
> new features even though this might cause random crashes and similar bad
> things
>
> * trunk will very soon raise the requirements of our dependency libraries,
> compared to the 2.4 branch (meaning old systems won't be able to build trunk
> anymore even though they might still be able to build 2.4)
>
> * Translations will be done on the 2.4 branch, not on trunk anymore (i.e. the
> trunk version won't be fully translated)
>
> * Patches from trunk that are useful on the 2.4 branch need to be cherry-
> picked onto that branch and vice versa (we might need to find a good process
> for that step as well)
>
> * Eventually, we will have unstable 2.5.x releases from current trunk, leading
> to the next 2.6.0 stable releases, at which point the 2.4 branch will remain
> unused and unchanged.
>
> Everyone, feel free to add your experimental code into trunk again! Welcome
> all new features :-)
>
> Comments? Questions?

Yay.

Happily, the mirror script didn't even blink about the new branch, even though there was already an older one.

If anyone uses git to cherry pick between the branches, use "git cherry-pick", not "git merge". Subversion won't understand the linking that git merge uses and it will make a mess of your repository when you try to pull from the mirror.

Regards,
John Ralls