Idea proposal - Google Summer of code 2011

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 24 16:27:16 EDT 2011

Dear Akash,

thank you very much for your interest in working with gnucash in the GSoC
2011. I would suggest you should first try to compile gnucash on some Linux
computer that you have access to, then run the software and play around with
it a bit. http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building

Am Dienstag, 22. März 2011 schrieb akash mehrotra:
> I would like to propose an additional idea for GSoC 2011.
> This is a very abstract proposal, as I have not yet used GNUCash or seen
> the source, so I do not know if its practical to implement it. Please do
> tell me if its practical, I will expand upon it:
>
> A mobile application(QT can be used if Symbian, else Android could be
> targeted) could be developed for GNUCash. This application would link to
> the main application running on the computer and allow a user to view any
> reports anywhere in the world, as long as they are connected to the
> Internet.

Unfortunately I have to tell you this idea is not very practical. Of course
you can propose to write a finance management software on some mobile system.
However, this has almost no relation to the gnucash project at all.

As said above, if you want to work with gnucash in this GSoC, we suggest you
should first build it from source as written on that wiki page.

Best Regards,

Christian