Summer of Code for Cutecash or adding features to GnuCash project

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 24 16:44:33 EDT 2011

Dear Vladimir,

thank you for your interest in working with gnucash in the GSoC 2011 program.
It is good to hear you've been able to build it from source, and you've been
using the program for quite some time already.

As for your project: Well, it's up to you to choose the  project that is most
interesting to you, as this will imply your application will have the highest
chance of being accepted by Google.

Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2011 schrieb Vladimir Gorelov:
> From my personal point of view it could be at least:
> 3) Schedule of costs forecast vs budget

This third point can be turned into a full GSoC project by claiming you will
"expand gnucash to enable cost forecast, integrated with the budgeting
feature, improving all of the existing parts of it along the way". This will
require writing some reporting code which is currently in Scheme language but
might be possible in python in the future, and also some coding in C/gtk.

> Also I saw list from
> http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request and I agree
> that most of things from the list can be done to make GnuCash better.
> When reading http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2011 page I was pretty
> wondered that there is Cutecash project. A few weeks ago I started to
> learn Qt framework and I very excited about Qt's potential and would
> like to try myself in Cutecash.

To try cutecash, just follow the instructions from
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Cutecash . Again, the project is up to you. You
can pick a project from the programming environment that's most fun to you.
E.g., if you think you enjoy Qt the most, I would indeed suggest to try the
cutecash code again and see whether you can add enough features so that it's a
"lightweight, easy & fast" data entry possibility in addition to the normal
gnucash program.

> Please, let me know if I could fit as GSoC 2011 student.

Sure. Just keep in mind it is not us who decide about the acceptance, but
instead the Google staff on the basis of your application.

Best Regards,

Christian