Interactive Javascript + Canvas (jqPlot) powered graphs

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 24 17:40:59 EDT 2011

Dear Andy,

I've now applied the first two patches from you into SVN. I've not yet applied
the others because they would immediately change the behaviour.

However, I've tried them myself and I'm very much impressed by the obvious
increase in quality! This holds for both the on-screen display and also when
printing to PDF. From what I see here, I'm inclined to add your patches
immediately and throw out goffice, because the jqplot graphs are just so much
nicer!

For anyone to check yourself: Get latest SVN, then apply the attached patch,
and open any of the piechart or barchart reports.

By the way, what happens on a double-click? I only see the graph turns blue,
but I gues there was some meaning behind this... :-)

Am Freitag, 11. März 2011 schrieb Andy Clayton:
> Here is a list of at least some of the possible issues I am aware of:
> * The default coloring could probably be better (plus support for when
> specific colors are specified)

Yes, but it's good enough to be better than the gog colors, so it's sufficient
to replace the old one.

> * The legend needs to get out of the way of the graph

Depends on the graph and the data. Maybe it is sufficient if it were movable.

> * On bar graphs as more bars get packed in there seems to be too much
> padding compared to bar width (really small bars with lots of whitespace)

Might be, indeed.

> * On any of the bar graphs over time the x-axis labels are (to me)
> misleading. A bar labeled 01/01/2011, for example, actually represents
> the value up to the next x position, say 01/02/2011. Perhaps labeling it
> with the through date (the inclusive end date) would make more sense,
> rather than the start? Then again, maybe that is just a matter of
> preference. Or maybe I will avoid the issue entirely by simplifying the
> labels to just year, or month and year, for the simple cases.

Yes, but that's a problem with the gog graphs as well. We can throw out gog
and later come up with a fix to the labels.

> Anyways, feel free to give a try and let me know what could be different
> or better.

It looks great! Thank you very much for this contribution!

Regards,

Christian