[GSoC] Re: GSOC2011 Cutecash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Mar 25 15:50:09 EDT 2011

Dear Lin Di,

thank you for your interest in working with gnucash in the GSoC 2011 program.
As a first step, we suggest you should checkout the gnucash sources from SVN
and build it yourself on some Linux/Unix computer, see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building

Even though it is possible to develop the cutecash code on Windows/Visual
Studio, we strongly suggest you should first set up a Linux build so that you
see how the "normal" build of the developers will go along. You can install a
Linux virtual machine on your windows computer just for this testing part.

Next, please build gnucash (indeed: the original gnucash) from SVN using the
gcc/mingw compile system on your windows computer. Follow the instructions
from http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows to do that.

Finally, you can build cutecash using Visual Studio as well, following the
instructions from http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Cutecash
and see whether you can add enough features so that it's a "lightweight, easy
& fast" data entry possibility in addition to the normal gnucash program.

Also, all the ideas from the uservoice page http://gnucash.uservoice.com are
useful suggestions for a project in terms of user requirements.

Best Regards,

Christian