Problems getting python console to launch

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 31 03:35:35 EDT 2011

Dear Emil,

Zitat von Emil Kantis <e.kantis at gmail.com>:
> I must've missed the documentation regarding the python-specific
> build options (--enable-python in ./configure), or maybe it's
> obvious to people with experience.

No, it's not obvious. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier. It would
have been visible from the output of "./configure --help", but that
output is rather unintuitive to read.

> After running
>
>      ./configure --enable-python --enable-compile-warnings
>    --prefix=/opt/gnucash/
>      make clean
>      make
>
> make exits with the following error
>
>    swig-app-utils-python.c: In function 'SwigPyObject_richcompare':
>    swig-app-utils-python.c:1519: error: dereferencing pointer 'res'
>    does break strict-aliasing rules

Basically this says the auto-generated C code (as generated by SWIG)
is refused to be compiled by your gcc compiler in your available
version.

Things to try: If you configure without the --enable-compile-warnings,
maybe this warning/error goes away? Then: What is your swig version
and your gcc version? I have gcc-4.4 and swig-1.3.6 (somewhat old,
though) and I didn't use --enable-compile-warnings, and I haven't seen
this error so far. Perhaps upgrading to a newer SWIG will solve this
problem, in case the configure argument removal doesn't help.

Regards,

Christian