Quartz version of GnuCash and dbus

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri May 20 16:10:55 EDT 2011

--On May 20, 2011 12:33:41 PM -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> Yup, that was it. Very nice, thanks! I did change your patch to use
> variables for the paths (allows for better quoting to protect against
> spaces in the path) and to use an agent plist inside the bundle
> rather than your MacPorts directory.
>
> It does leave the dbus-daemon running (which is no different from the
> old arrangement). I don't suppose you know of a way to get it to shut
> down when Gnucash quits?

I was just about to go downstairs to my machine and try to figure out
how you needed to rebuild dbus to make it work.  I'm glad you saved me
the trouble.  :-)  Those changes to the script are fine, I expected you
would want to do that.  Did you upgrade to version 1.4.8 of dbus?  It
contains a number of bug fixes over 1.4.1, but I don't know if any of
them affect our rather trivial use of it.

You could use another launchctl command to stop the session bus after
GnuCash exits (only if you started it), but that's not really necessary
and could cause trouble.  The session bus uses essentially no resources
when no one is using it and any other client (like another invocation
of GnuCash) will use the same session bus so there's not much point in
stopping it.  If you do stop it and there happen to be other clients
using it (for example because they were started while GnuCash was
running), then you will cause problems for them.  I would recommend
just leaving it running.  Stopping it might cause problems for some
people and leaving it running won't hurt anything.

        Mike