git-svn and local feature branch (git svn dcommit error ?)

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun May 22 15:54:49 EDT 2011

Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2011 schrieb John Ralls:
> The procedure in the Wiki page is what I think is correct (and what I've
> done).
>
> It's perfectly normal in git to get part of a complicated feature done and
> copy that bit to the main branch (trunk for us, but "master" is the usual
> name in git repos) and then to keep working on the feature branch. In that
> case one should periodically merge the main branch into the feature branch

Yes, absolutely, for the normal git workflow.

However, here we are talking about the git-svn branch from which we want to
dcommit to SVN. The IMHO unexpected part here is this:

> git checkout trunk
> git rebase feature
> git svn dcommit

I.e. why is the "trunk" rebased on top of the "feature" branch, then being d-
committed? Either all of the feature branch should go into SVN, in which case
I would rebase "feature" on top of "trunk" (i.e. the other way round compared
to the above steps). Or the "feature" commits should not (yet) be committed,
in which case I would do

> git checkout feature
> git merge trunk

and then occasionally cherry-pick some of "feature"'s commits into trunk and
d-commit from there. In the end, I would again rebase "feature" on top of
"trunk" and this way d-commit all the commits that haven't been cherry-picked
to trunk before.

I agree this "git merge trunk" is written in the end of this new section, and
that's what I have expected. But the "git rebase feature" still looks
unexpected to me.

Regards,

Christian