git-svn and local feature branch (git svn dcommit error ?)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 24 11:57:46 EDT 2011

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> Once I perform the upgrade we could move the git sync to the server.
>> Down the road we could still consider migrating from SVN to GIT
>> completely?
>>
> I think Geert, Christian, and I are ready to do that now. Not sure
> about the others. Perhaps you'd want to do that as part of upgrading
> Code?

Well, we'd have to update all the build scripts (both on the server and
elsewhere) to build from git instead of building from SVN.  This
includes (but is not limited to):

* doxygen source-docs build
* gnucash-docs build
* win32 build
* www (This is one place that might be more challenging!)

Moreover, we would need to consider the security ramifications of a git
push into a repo on code.gnucash.org.

I think that upgrading Code to a more recent OS is a necessary step, but
the migration from SVN -> GIT can happen afterwards.

>>> In the meantime, I'll increase the frequency of updates.
>>
>> Or we could set up the port knocker (which I could do sooner).
>
> What kind of listener will I need?

We can discuss that offline, but basically the port knocker just
contacts your host via TCP on an agreed-upon port and sends an
agreed-upon string.  Your host can then use that to fire off a sync.

Note that if there are multiple SVN commits in quick succession then you
might get multiple sync calls that you'll need to synchronize (unless
git does that automatically).