Gtk version again

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 10:07:17 EST 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:57:22 +0100
Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> Recently there was some discussion on what version of Gtk we should
> target in trunk.
>
> The consensus was 2.18.1, which is what RHEL6 supports. Fedora 14 is
> shipping with 2.22, so targetting 2.24 would exclude those two
> distributions.
>
> However, I'm having some practical issues here. My goal is to get
> GnuCash ready for Gnome 3 as fast as possible. All migration
> documentation specifies that as a first step, you should target 2.24
> and replace all deprecated gtk code in the version.
>
> It appears that is not possible if we still have to support 2.18.1 or
> 2.22.
>
> An example:
> We are using GtkComboBoxEntry in several places in the code. This
> widget is deprecated in 2.24, so it should be replaced. The
> replacement suggestion is a regular GtkComboBox, but created with
> gtk_combo_box_new_with_entry. This will give you a GtkComboBox with a
> GtkEntry child widget, effectively the same as the original
> GtkComboBoxEntry. The problem is, gtk_combo_box_new_with_entry is a
> new function only available starting from 2.24. So in order to
> replace a deprecated widget, I have to use functionality that's not
> available in the older Gtk versions we try to support.
>
> So what choice should I make here:
> - give up on Gnome 3 for now (not my preference) ?
> - give up on the older Gtk versions (not nice either) ?
> - ...
>
> Geert
I guess that since key widgets are deprecated then there's not a
lot of choice in the matter but to upgrade.  I guess we'll be
supporting GnuCash-2.4 branch for some time, which leads to the issue
of how/where to apply bug fixes.

Slightly related then, this page could do with an update:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development_Process