I probably did something wrong; having configure problems.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Nov 18 11:55:22 EST 2011

On vrijdag 18 november 2011, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> This is the actual message I get.
>
> checking for ./src/swig-runtime.h... no
> configure: error:
>
> It looks like you are NOT building from Subversion
> but I cannot find swig-runtime.h.  Check your PATH
> and make sure we can find svnversion in your PATH!
> Either that or contact gnucash-devel at gnucash.org because
> the tarball you downloaded is broken.
>

> hendrik at notlookedfor:~/dv/gnucash/workspace/gnucash$
>

> Now the funny things are:
>
> (1) I am building from subversion, except that to avoid messing with my
> pristine copy, and to avoid accidentally uploading junk in case I should
> ever get upload privileges, I'm using a copy of the downloaded-by-svn
> source code that does not have the .svn directories in it.
>
> Do build details really depend on the presence of .svn directories?

It does. Not strictly from the directories, but svn tools are used to check if
you are working from an svn directory. If you remove the .svn directories, you
effectively prevent svn tools from considering your directory as a working
directory.

Don't do this. You don't have upload privileges yet, so you don't need to
worry about it. Even if you will get upload privileges in the future, you
probably want to start from a clean working directory anyway. And it's very
easy to revert "junk" if you accidentally upload it. That's one of the
advantages of using a version control system.

> (2) I can find svnversion in my $PATH.
>
> hendrik at notlookedfor:~/dv/gnucash/workspace/gnucash$ echo $PATH
> /home/hendrik/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/hendrik/
> bin/i686/:/usr/local/cm3/bin/:/usr/local/Gambit-C/current/bin/
> hendrik at notlookedfor:~/dv/gnucash/workspace/gnucash$ which svnversion
> /usr/bin/svnversion
> hendrik at notlookedfor:~/dv/gnucash/workspace/gnucash$

I don't think this is a problem. The message is probably generic. If you start
from a true working directory, the script will be found when needed.

> (3) But indeed, I can't find swig-runtime.h anywhere either.  Where is it
> supposed to come from?
It is generated by the build scripts when you are building from svn, which
means you have to start from a valid working directory.

If you really want to avoid this, you can start from a tarball that you can
donwload from the gnucash download section. This will contain the missing file
and won't need svn and swig to compile.

Geert